Do You Want To Increase Your Overall Health? Fit Exercise Into Your Workday!
When you work eight-hour days (or more!) at a desk, it’s hard to fit exercise into your schedule. However, it’s important to get up and move. Prolonged sitting without any physical activity can have significant health risks, according to the Mayo Clinic. Those who sat for more than eight hours a day with no activity had a risk of dying similar to the risks of dying posed by obesity and smoking. Physical activity can prolong life and decrease your risk of certain health issues, such as increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol levels.
So how do you manage to exercise during your day and still get your work finished? Believe it or not, there are several things you can do to get the much-needed activity to boost your energy level and to help you stay focused throughout the day.
- Ride your bike or walk to work instead of driving. If you take the bus, walk to the bus stop.
- Take the stairs. You may have to take it slow at first but, after a few attempts, your stamina will increase.
- Use the restroom farthest from your desk. Those few extra steps will help.
- Keep hand weights at your desk. During a break, take a few minutes to use them. Ask an expert on how to properly use the weights or watch an online video instructor.
- Walk after lunch or walk to a restaurant instead of driving.
- Taking a long phone call? Stand up and stretch!! Not only will this help loosen those muscles, but it will ease some of the tension from sitting.
These are just a few basic ideas of how to get up and move during your work day. Before doing any physical activity, make sure you check with your doctor. If you are walking during the day, make sure you wear comfortable shoes and, if possible, take a friend along to help motivate you. Just remember…make it a habit to get up and move!!